Summer is a great time to enjoy some fun in the sun with your family and even though we’re just past the dog days of summer, the end is near! But, never fear, there are so many things left for you to see and do before the kids go back to school. So take advantage of the great weather we have left enjoying some fun with your family. Some of your kids may have actually already started school. But, for those of us whose kids don’t start until after Labor Day, there’s still summer fun to be had.
Here’s a list of eight things to do with your kids before summer ends:
- Go swimming – Whether it’s at the local pool, a beach, or even a lake, anytime during the summer is a great time for swimming. Not only is it a lot of fun, but kids love it and it’s a great way to cool off on super-hot days.
- Go fishing – If you don’t own fishing gear, a lot of places let you rent it, or maybe you have a friend or family member you can borrow it from. . From what I hear, fishing can be very relaxing and a lot of fun. And, if killing the fish squigs you out, no worries… you can always catch and release.
- Go on a road trip – Whether it’s off to grandma’s house in another state, or to see a new place or attraction out of state, summertime is a great time for a road trip. Don’t forget to pack snacks, games, and your favorite tunes. Have fun with it!
- Visit a zoo or aquarium –If you’re looking for a short, not-to-expensive day trip, you could visit an area zoo or aquarium.. We’re lucky… living in metro Detroit the aquarium is actually inside the zoo. So, we really get the bang for our buck. But, please visit your local zoo or aquarium or both. Your whole family will love it, and you’ll make memories that last a lifetime.
- Create a backyard water park – You don’t have to leave home to have a good during the summer. You can create a backyard water park with things bought at your local hardware store. You could set up sprinklers, a slip-n-slide, kiddie pools and more for the ultimate backyard water fun. I’m totally down for some slip-n-slide action.
- Have a baking contest – This is a great time to sharpen your skills in the kitchen, while baking up some goodies. You could have a contest amongst your family to see who creates the best baked goods.
- Try something new together – Pick something your family has never done before and then do it for the first time – together. It could be hiking, trying a new sport, or most anything you can think of, as long as everyone in the family is capable of doing it. Part of the fun lies in what you decide to try.
- Go on a nature hike – Summer is a wonderful time to see more of nature. Taking the whole family along on a nature hike also gives you the chance to spend more time with one another while getting away from it all. It will give you the opportunity to really talk (and listen) to each other, and get to know one another better. Plus, it’s great for your health.
See you soon! I’m logging off to go have some fun in the sun. Have a great rest of the summer, my friends.