If you’re looking for a super-tasty cupcake recipe to make as a Valentine’s Day treat, look no further than Rosanna Pansino’s Red Velvet recipe from her Nerdy Nummies Cookbook.
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 stick (4 oz.) salted butter at room temperature
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1-1/2 tablespoons red food coloring
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt
- In a large bowl (with an electric mixer), beat the butter until creamy. Add the sugar and beat until light and fluffy (for 3 – 5 minutes)
- In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs and vanilla
- In another small bowl, whisk the sour cream and milk together
- Pour the egg mixture into the butter/sugar mixture and beat on medium speed for 2 minutes
- On low speed, alternate adding the flour mixture and the sour cream mixture to the butter/egg mixture beginning and ending with the flour adding the food coloring with the first addition of liquid
- Line 24 cups of a muffin tin with liners and fill them 2/3 of the way with batter
- Bake at 350 for 18 – 20 minutes or until done
Until these, I had never made any kind of cake from scratch. But, Rosanna’s recipe was super easy. I followed it to the letter and tasted so good once it was done. I added some cream cheese frosting and decorations from the Target Dollar Spot, and voila! You have a delicious and cute treat to share – either with that special someone, or your kid’s classroom.
Disclosure: Affiliate links used.